Thursday, November 17, 2011

Meeting the Duggars!!

A few weeks ago, I was able to go to a women's conference and the highlight was meeting the Duggars! What an awesome family of God! The most valuable thing that I took from them was probably the most simple thing. "Children are a blessing!" They said this over and over again and I realized how much our society does not see kids that way. Yes, parents love their kids, but do they truely see them as a blessing. I hear parents all the time complaining about their kids instead of rejoicing in the journey that their kids are going through. When our children are going through the terrible twos, do we stop and feel thankful for the ability to be disciplining them into amazing people of God? Do we feel like we have given up things for our kids or do we feel blessed that God changed our focus from ourselves and onto others? Do we send our kids to school so that we can get a break or do we rejoice in the time together? I just found their deep commitment to children to be refreshing!

My wonderful friend, Mandy blessed me by taking me with her into the small group Duggar time. That was really awesome! I even got to stand up and ask them a question.
Their kids were amazing. Even the little ones sat while their parents talked. When they did start to get restless, one of the older siblings quietly took them out! Later they played the violin and sang. One of the older girls was asked if she liked being homeschooled or if she wished that she had gone to public school. She started by saying, "I have only been homeschooled so it is all I know." Then she continued by saying, "We get to travel and do stuff that other kids don't. I love it!"
The funniest part was when someone asked her what her perspective on fertility treatment is. She started by explaining her belief on birth control until she realized that wasn't what they were talking about. Then she got all tongue tied and said, "I really don't have any experience with this so I don't have an answer right now!" It was sweet and funny! She is a very kind and joyful woman!
The kids loved signing books. They said that they have done 4-5 hour signings before.

Last, I got to speak with Kathy Troccoli. I met her years before when my Pastor's wife introduced me at another women's conference. Kathy is such a fun lady! Love her attitude and love her music!

No comments:

Post a Comment